How much Carbon Monoxide is safe?
Smart Moves Home Inspections, LLC - Residential Home Inspections
RSS

Recent Posts

Prevent Laundry Hose Failure
Does it matter how high the chimney is?
Roof stains
Do I need to get a home insepction?
Knob and Tube Wiring

Categories

Pests
Safety
Tips
powered by

My Blog

How much Carbon Monoxide is safe?

No standards for CO have been agreed upon for indoor air.  The U.S. National Ambient Air Quality Standards for outdoor air are 9 ppm (40,000 micrograms per meter cubed) for 8 hours, and 35 ppm for 1 hour.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas. Because it is impossible to see, taste or smell the toxic fumes, CO can kill you before you are aware it is in your home. At lower levels of exposure, CO causes mild effects that are often mistaken for the flu, like headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue. The effects of CO exposure can vary greatly from person to person depending on their age, overall health and the concentration and length of exposure.

Unventilated kerosene and gas space heaters; leaking chimneys and furnaces; back-drafting from furnaces, gas water heaters, wood stoves, and fireplaces; gas stoves; generators and other gasoline powered equipment; automobile exhaust from attached garages; and tobacco smoke contribute to CO sources.  Incomplete oxidation during combustion in gas ranges and unventilated gas or kerosene heaters may cause high concentrations of CO in indoor air.  Worn or poorly adjusted and maintained combustion devices (e.g., boilers, furnaces) can be significant sources, or if the flue is improperly sized, blocked, disconnected, or is leaking.

Find more info on my links page.

Brad


0 Comments to How much Carbon Monoxide is safe?:

Comments RSS

Add a Comment

Your Name:
Email Address: (Required)
Website:
Comment:
Make your text bigger, bold, italic and more with HTML tags. We'll show you how.
Post Comment
Website Builder provided by  Vistaprint