The length of a
horizontal line drawn from the top of the opening of the chimney flue to the point at which that line touches
the roof surface should be ten feet or more. This height requirement is to assure that the chimney will develop
adequate draft. A "too short" chimney won't have a
tall-enough column of rising hot gases inside to develop a safe,
A chimney that istoo short
is unlikely to vent properly and it may also be a serious fire hazard to the building.
Aluminum wiring, used in some homes from the mid 1960's to the early 1970's, is a potential
According to theU.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
and even deaths have been reported to have been caused by this hazard. Problems
due to aluminum wiring expansion, or arcing at the aluminum wiring connectors,
can cause overheating at connections between the wire and
devices (switches and outlets) or at aluminum wire splices. The connections can become hot enough
to start a fire without ever tripping a circuit breaker!
The EPA and the U.S. Geological
Survey have rated every county in the United States as Zone 1 to 3 for radon risk. Links to state maps with county by-
county risk levels can be found at
"GFCI" is a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter.
This is picture of an outlet version. Some other versions are breakers in the electric panel, separate plug-type, or stand alone. A ground fault circuit interrupter is an inexpensive electrical device that, if installed in
household branch circuits, could prevent over two-thirds of the
approximately300 electrocutionsstill occurring each year in and around
the home. Installation of the device could also prevent thousands of
burn and electric shock injuries each year.
The United States government'sConsumer Product Safety Commissionbanned lead paintin1977
. In an announcement dated September 2, 1977,
"The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has culminated a
major regulatory proceeding by issuing a final ban on lead-containing
paint and on toys and furniture coated with such paint. This action was
taken to reduce the risk of lead poisoning in children who may ingest
paint chips or peelings."
FACT:Lead exposure can harm young children and babies even before they are born.